PROGRAM DATES AND LOCATION
The 2018 Program is taking place at the brand new, state-of-the-art St. John’s Convention Centre, located at 101 New Gower Street in downtown St. John’s, overlooking the water. The Convention Centre is steps away from shopping, dining, entertainment, arts and culture, and the Delta St. John’s Hotel. You can enter the Convention Centre through the main doors or the downtown Skywalk.
The Program starts Monday, July 9 at 8:45 am and runs through Friday, July 13 until 11:30 am. Advance check-in takes place Sunday, July 8 from 3:30 to 6:30 pm. Please try to schedule your arrival in St. John’s to allow you to check-in advance and avoid the Monday morning line-ups and possible late admission to the Program. Delegates may check-in for the Program either Sunday afternoon or Monday morning in the Convention Centre foyer. Doors to the Convention Centre will open Monday at 7:45 am; Tuesday and Thursday at 7:40 am (to allow for the Mentoring Breakfasts); and Wednesday and Friday at 8:30 am. Coffee and a breakfast item will be served each morning, and registrants are on their own for lunch.
New in 2018, save 10% on early-bird pricing!
Register on or before April 6, 2018:
$697.50 + $104.63 (15%) HST = $802.13 for registrants called to the Bar before 2013
$445.50 + $66.83 (15%) HST = $512.33 for registrants called to the Bar 2013 or after
Register after April 6, 2018:
$775 + $116.25 (15%) HST = $891.25 for registrants called to the Bar before 2013
$495 + $74.25 (15%) HST = $569.25 for registrants called to the Bar 2013 or after
Registration fee includes program attendance, program materials (electronic materials only via a password protected intranet), daily breakfast item and coffee, and refreshment breaks, Sunday First Time Attendee Reception (for first time attendees, cash bar) and Monday end of day reception (cash bar).
New in 2018! Registration includes access to the program materials, posted on a password-protected intranet operated by the Federation of Law Societies of Canada. Registrants will be emailed their unique access information the week prior to the beginning of the Program, and access will remain active for a two (2) year period, or until July 13, 2020. Access to the intranet will be available at all times during the event, so you can refer to the materials at your convenience, including during the actual sessions. The intranet is designed to be device compatible, so registrants can use a laptop, tablet or smart phone on site to consult the materials.
Want printed materials or materials on USB? Program materials on USB are available at an additional cost of $10 + HST, and printed materials are available at an additional cost of $50 + HST. USB’s and printed materials must be ordered by May 4, 2018. Registrations received after May 4, 2018 will not have the option to add a USB or printed materials. Material selections are final, these cannot be changed on site. USB’s and printed materials will be distributed on site at registration. USB and printed materials will not be provided in advance.
Registration is online only, in advance, by Visa or MasterCard through this website. If you do not have a Visa or MasterCard you can obtain a prepaid card through most major financial institutions. Organizations may register multiple delegates at one time. A valid email is required to register. Confirmations and receipts will be sent by email. No registration will be processed without the required payment in full.
HIGHLIGHTS OF OUR 2018 PROGRAM
- NEW IN 2018! 10% Early-bird savings for attendees who register on or before April 6, 2018
- Canada’s largest criminal law conference
- Nationally recognized faculty of Canada’s finest judges, Crown Prosecutors and Defence Counsel
- Daily plenary and general sessions
- Four concurrent large group Break-out sessions on Monday and Thursday afternoon, including a new French Break-out Monday afternoon
- Five concurrent Workshop sessions on Tuesday and Thursday morning, including choice of English or French Small Group Workshop
- NEW IN 2018! Password protected intranet so registrants can review and download Program materials in advance, and throughout the conference
- Tuesday and Thursday morning Mentoring Breakfast for registrants with 5 years or less criminal law experience
- Sunday First-Time Attendee Reception (cash bar)
- Monday Opening Reception (cash bar)
- Optional Wednesday social activities in partnership with McCarthy’s Party (Optional events, additional charges apply with third party provider)
- Thursday Rally in the Alley Pub Crawl and alternative closing event in partnership with McCarthy’s Party (optional ticketed events, additional charges apply with third party provider)
- NEW IN 2018! Program t-shirts are available for sale for $20 plus HST during online registration. There will be no cash sales of program t-shirts on-site.
The Federation has arranged a specially-priced conference delegate block at the Delta St. John’s Hotel, 120 New Gower Street, St. John’s. The rate starts at $239.00/night + taxes & fees, and includes in-room internet. The cut-off date for the group rate is June 4, 2018, subject to availability. Delegates are advised to book accommodations early as the group rate is extremely competitive for St. John’s in July, and all rooms will be reserved on a first come-first serve basis. Delegates are advised to contact Reservations first. Please remember to state that you are with the Federation of Law Societies.
The Delta St. John’s Hotel
120 New Gower Street
St. John’s, NL, A1C 6K4
Hotel website: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/yytds-delta-st-johns-hotel-and-conference-centre/
Hotel phone: 709-739-6404
Reservations: 1-888-793-3582 (please quote group name Federation of Law Societies)
SIGHT-SEEING ACTIVITIES AND SOCIAL EVENTS
Wednesday sight-seeing activities and Thursday evening social events are optional, ticketed events not included in the Program registration fee. Additional payment is required. Events are provided by McCarthy’s Party and registration is through the McCarthy’s Party NCLP Sightseeing and Social Events sites. For more information and to register for the Thursday night social events or Wednesday afternoon sight-seeing activities, visit the McCarthy’s Party program webpage.
A number of opportunities exist for relevant service providers to profile their products or services with conference delegates. These include:
- Exhibit Booth
- Welcome Reception Sponsor
- Sunday First-time Attendee Reception Sponsor
- Monday Opening Reception Sponsor
- Thursday Closing Event Sponsor
- Tuesday and Thursday Mentoring Breakfast Sponsor
- WiFi/Internet Sponsor
For more information please contact Program Coordinator Jessica Grant at email@example.com or 416-455-0880.
2017 CPD ACCREDITATION
ON: This program is eligible for up to 21.75 CPD hours, including 4 hours and 25 minutes of Professionalism content.
BC: This program has been approved for 21.75 CPD hours, including up to 5.25 hours of ethics, client care and relations, practice management and professionalism content.
SK: This program has been approved for 21.5 hours including 4.5 ethics hours.
NB: This program has been approved for 21.0 CPD hours.
QC: This program has been approved for 21.75 CPD hours. Activity number 10105760. Certificates of Attendance were issued to Quebec attendees by email in August. If you did not receive yours, please contact the program co-ordinator, Jessica Grant, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lawyers in all other provinces may count their actual attendance at the program towards their annual CPD requirement/plan.
2019: July 8-12, Ottawa, ON
Questions? Please check with us at the Registration desk in the Foyer during Advance Check-in on Sunday, July 8, and a staff member or volunteer will do their best to assist you. For urgent matters, please contact Program Coordinator Jessica Grant at email@example.com or at 416.455.0880.
- National Mobility of the Legal Profession
- Model Code of Professional Conduct
- National Discipline Standards
- National Admission Standards
- Canadian Law School Programs
- Access to Legal Services
- Advocacy on behalf of Canada’s Law Societies
- Model Rules to Fight Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing
- National Family Law Program
- National Criminal Law Program
- Changes to the National Requirement will be in effect January 1, 2018 December 15, 2017