National Criminal Law Program
2015 ANNUAL NATIONAL CRIMINAL LAW PROGRAM
Evidence, Ethics and the Administration of Justice July 6 – 10, 2015
(Advance registration on Sunday, July 5, 2015)
Shaw Conference Centre, 9797 Jasper Avenue Northwest Edmonton, Alberta
The National Law Program is Canada’s largest criminal law conference attracting more than 700 practitioners, judges and others in criminal and criminal/regulatory law.
PROGRAM DATES AND LOCATION
The Program starts Monday, July 6 at 8:45 am and runs through Friday, July 10 until 11:00 am. All sessions will take place at the Shaw Conference Centre, 9797 Jasper Avenue NW, Edmonton. The entrance to the Shaw is at street level on Jasper Avenue. Registration, and the main plenary which will take place in Hall B, are located on the Assembly Level. Doors to the Shaw and the main plenary in Hall B will open Monday at 7:45 am, and Tuesday through Friday at 8:15 am. Coffee and breakfast breads will be served each morning, and registrants are on their own for lunch.
ADVANCE REGISTRATION – IMPORTANT – PLEASE REGISTER IN ADVANCE
Advance registration takes place Sunday, July 5 from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm on the Assembly Level of the Shaw Conference Centre. Please try to register during this time to avoid the Monday morning line-ups.
THE 2015 PROGRAM AND SCHEDULE IS AVAILABLE HERE (PDF)
THE 2015 FACULTY LIST IS AVAILABLE HERE (PDF)
NEW SOCIAL EVENTS ADDED!
- Thursday night Battle of the Bands and Western-style Dinner – Register here. Limited seating. (Brochure here)
- Thursday night Freewill Shakespeare Festival Invitation – Special offer for Program attendees. Information is here
- Sunday First-time Attendee Reception – Invitation only. Details here.
$750 + $37.50 (5%) GST = $787.50 for registrants called to the Bar before 2010; $495 + $24.75 (5%) GST = $519.75 for registrants called to the Bar 2010 or after. Registration fee includes attendance, program materials (hard copy including USB stick or USB stick only based on your selection during registration), daily light breakfast and refreshment breaks, and Monday end of day reception (cash bar). Attendees must make their own travel and accommodations arrangements (see below for Program hotel blocks).
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
- Canada’s largest criminal law conference
- Nationally recognized faculty of Canada’s finest judges, Crown prosecutors, and defence counsel
- Practice related Program sponsors and exhibitors
- Two volumes of written material, created specifically for the Program
- Mix of plenary, break-out and small group workshop sessions
- First Time Attendee Reception
- Monday Opening Reception (cash bar)
- Optional Thursday social event (information coming soon)
- Over 20 CPD credits/hours recognized by every province/territory!
- Nearly a dozen new faculty members
- Choice of Monday and Thursday break-out sessions, including the following new advanced-level break-outs designed for participants with significant criminal law experience:
- The Common Purpose [Co-Conspirator’s] Exception to the Hearsay Rule
- Fresh Evidence on Appeal
- Third Party Suspects and Inadequate Police Investigations
- “Mr. Big” Goes to Ottawa
- Choice of Tuesday and Thursday workshop sessions, including:
- Tuesday and Thursday English or French small group workshop with discussion of problems and answers (problems distributed during registration)
- Tuesday and Thursday Persuasive Writing workshop with James Raymond
- Tuesday Management of the Admissibility Voir Dire workshop and Thursday Management of Evidentiary Issues at Trial workshop, led by The Hon. Justice David Watt
ACCOMODATIONS AND TRAVEL
Attendees are responsible for making their own travel and accommodations arrangements. The Federation has arranged a number of hotel blocks with special Program room rates. When making your reservation, please ask for the National Criminal Law Program or Federation of Law Societies of Canada room rate.
- Westin Edmonton, 10135-100 Street, Edmonton, Alberta, Reservations: 1.800.228.3000. Web site here. $189 – $239 night, single occupancy, with complimentary internet access. Across from Shaw Conference Centre.
CPD credits/hours for the following accrediting provinces will be updated as we receive approvals/accreditation:
- BC: This program has been approved for 21.5 CPD hours, including 2.75 hours of professional responsibility and ethics, client care and relations, and/or practice management.
- In Saskatchewan this program has been approved for 21.5 CPD hours, of which 2.5 hours qualifies as ethics.
- ON: This program is eligible for up to 2 hours and 25 minutes of professionalism content and 21 hours and 50 minutes of substantive content.
- QC: Pending
- In New Brunswick, this program has been approved for 21.5 CPD hours.
Attendees from all other mandatory CPD jurisdictions may count their actual attendance hours at the Program towards their annual CPD requirements or plan.
Please contact Jessica Grant, Program Coordinator, 110 Eglinton Avenue West, Suite 303, Toronto, Ontario M4R 1A3, Tel: (647)352.8733, Fax: (647) 352.8533, Email: email@example.com.
- 2016: July 4-8, Charlottetown, PEI
- 2017: July 10-14, Vancouver, B.C.