Each of Canada’s law societies enforces a code of conduct for members of the legal profession in their jurisdiction. With national mobility of the profession, the law societies recognize the benefit of moving toward a harmonized national standard of rules of conduct so that the public can expect the same ethical requirements to apply wherever their legal advisor may practice law.
The Federation has approved a Model Code of Professional Conduct (PDF) that has been implemented by a number of law societies and is under review by others. Over time, it is expected that any significant differences in rules of conduct across Canada will be eliminated.
The Federation has established a Standing Committee on the Model Code of Professional Conduct to monitor changes in the law and to recommend improvements over time as the Model Code is implemented.
- National Mobility of the Legal Profession
- Model Code of Professional Conduct
- National Discipline Standards
- National Admission Standards
- Canadian Law School Programs
- Access to Legal Services
- Advocacy on behalf of Canada’s Law Societies
- Model Rules to Fight Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing
- National Family Law Program
- National Criminal Law Program
- Federation Names New President for 2018-2019 November 15, 2018