The NCA examination process is entirely self-study and applicants are responsible for their own course materials and program of studies. There is no private tutoring or consultation available through the NCA. A syllabus and practice exam are available for each subject.
These syllabi are generally revised once annually and are in effect for a full calendar year starting in January. Please note the syllabi may be updated from time to time without prior notice. Applicants are responsible for monitoring the website for updates and obtaining the most recent syllabus for the exam session.
Applicants can also acquire syllabus material through various Canadian publishers and other websites.
You can also refer to the NCA guide on How to Answer Fact Based Law Exam Questions.
The syllabi indicated below are available in PDF format:
- Business Organizations (formerly Corporate Law) (January 2019 version)
- Canadian Administrative Law (January 2018 version for April 2018 exam)
- Canadian Constitutional Law (February 2015 version)
- Canadian Criminal Law (January 2019 version)
- Canadian Professional Responsibility (January 2018 version)
- Civil Procedure (Alberta) (May 2014 version)
- Civil Procedure (Ontario) (January 2019 version)
- Commercial Law (January 2019 version)
- Contracts (June 2017 version)
- Evidence (January 2019 version)
- Family Law (Alberta) (January 2018 version for April 2018 exam)
- Family Law (B.C.) (January 2018 version for April 2018 exam)
- Family Law (Ontario) (January 2018 version for April 2018 exam)
- Foundations of Canadian Law (April 2018 version)
- Property (August 2018 version)
- Remedies (February 2019 version)
- Taxation (March 2016 version for August 2016 exam)
- Torts (May 2017 version)
- Trusts (September 2015 version)