2015 INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF LEGAL REGULATORS
Building Blocks to Better Regulation
The 4th International Conference of Legal Regulators focuses on the needs of legal regulators in today’s rapidly shifting legal services market. The conference explores a number of themes in the context of building better regulation. Registration is now open; details for accommodations in Toronto are here. Air Canada offers a 10 per cent discount for those travelling to Toronto for this Conference: to make your reservation at the discount fare, please go to the Air Canada web site and enter the Code E2F7RER1 in the Search panel. Our Schedule of Events is available here, and the Programme is available in PDF format. Through a mix of plenary sessions and concurrent workshops, an international group of panelists will share their experiences and insights on emerging issues and practical strategies relating to the conference themes. The topics include:
- Lawyer Trust Accounts: Is there a Better System?
- Lessons Learned from Canada’s Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement Process
- Competence Initiative: Beyond CPD
- Lawyers on the Edge: Licensure and the Impaired Professional
- In an Ever Expanding Universe of Legal Services What is the Future of Legal Regulation?
- ABS, Entity Regulation and Proactive Regulation Update
- Burning Issues for Legal Regulators
- What Can We Expect from the United States?
- Building a Regulator (a “how-to” workshop)
- Building and Maintaining Credibility with the Public – How to Maintain Public Confidence in a Consumer Driven Environment
- International Cooperation and Information Sharing
Please check the web site regularly for updates to the Program and Schedule of Events. The 4th International Conference of Legal Regulators is co-hosted by the Federation of Law Societies of Canada and the Law Society of Upper Canada. All events will be held in historic Osgoode Hall in Toronto unless otherwise noted.
CPD Accreditation for Ontario Lawyers and Paralegals
For all Ontario licensees, this program contains 4 professionalism hours, allocated as follows:
|Agenda Title and/or Time||Approved Time|
|Lawyer Trust Accounts: Is there a Better System?||90 minutes|
|Lawyers on the Edge: Licensure and the Impaired Professional||75 minutes|
|ABS, Entity Regulation and Proactive Regulation Update||75 minutes|
This program is also eligible for up to 8 hours and 25 minutes of substantive content.