Canadian Common Law Program Approval Status
Individuals applying for admission to a Canadian law society must hold a law degree earned at a Canadian law school or a Certificate of Qualification issued by the Federation’s National Committee on Accreditation.
Effective 2015, for their graduates to be admitted to law society admission programs, Canadian common law programs will have to meet the National Requirement as determined by the Canadian Common Law Program Approval Committee (the “Approval Committee”).
Graduates from the following law schools are currently accepted by all law societies in Canadian common law jurisdictions:
- University of Alberta – Faculty of Law
- University of British Columbia – Faculty of Law
- University of Calgary – Faculty of Law
- Dalhousie University – Schulich School of Law
- University of Manitoba – Robson Hall Faculty of Law
- McGill University – Faculty of Law
- Université de Moncton – Faculté de Droit
- University of New Brunswick – Faculty of Law
- University of Ottawa – Common Law
- Queen’s University – Faculty of Law
- University of Saskatchewan – College of Law
- University of Toronto – Faculty of Law
- University of Victoria – Faculty of Law
- University of Western Ontario – Western Law
- University of Windsor – Windsor Law
- York University – Osgoode Hall Law School
The following programs have been approved by the Approval Committee and therefore graduates from the date listed will be accepted into the bar admissions process in Canada’s common law, law societies:
- Université de Montréal – Faculté de Droit: Common Law J.D. Approved for graduating classes of 2013 and 2014 (Program Model)
- Thompson Rivers University – Faculty of Law: J.D. Approved for graduating class of 2014 (Program Model)
- Université de Sherbrooke – Faculté de droit : Diplôme de deuxième cycle de common law et droit transnational (Juris Doctor) approved for the graduating classes of 2012 (Individual Student Approval Model or ISAM), 2013 (ISAM) and 2014 (ISAM).
Note: Definitions and conditions, if any, of each approval model (Program or ISAM) are available by selecting the designated link.
The following programs have received preliminary approval from the Approval Committee. These programs are not eligible for approval until their first class graduates:
- Lakehead University – Faculty of Law: J.D. (expected date of first graduating class: 2016)
- Trinity Western University – School of Law: J.D. (expected date of first graduating class: 2019)
Please note: The Federation does not recommend or endorse any specific law school program. The Approval Committee approves common law programs based on compliance with the National Requirement.