Completing NCA exams
In deciding whether or not you prefer to take NCA exams instead of taking courses at a Canadian law school to meet your assigned requirements, here are some important factors to keep in mind:
- Cost: $340 CDN plus applicable taxes per exam payable only by credit card. The same price applies to each retake of any NCA exam. Please note: Costs are subject to change without prior notice.
- Frequency of Exams: Four times a year according to the existing NCA Schedule.
- Registration: Applicants must pre-register for NCA exams. Registration opens approximately 4-6 weeks before the registration deadline for the corresponding session, which is listed in the current NCA schedule. Registration will not be accepted after the prescribed deadline for each session. Payment is by credit card only.
- Studying for NCA Exams: NCA exams are self-study exams. Applicants are responsible for obtaining their own course material that is outlined in the NCA Syllabi, and for developing their own course of study. Some Canadian law schools offer support courses or programs for NCA subjects. The current list is available here.
- Exams are fact-based, open-book, and three hours long in duration. The NCA has prepared a Guide on writing these type of exams. You must use pen or paper in the NCA booklet, or pad provided.
- Exam Results: Examinations are graded on a pass/fail basis (i.e. 50% is considered a pass). Results will be released approximately 10 – 12 weeks from the date of the last scheduled exam of each session.
- Exam Locations: Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, and Vancouver. In suitable circumstances, applicants may be able to arrange to write examinations in other locations, both within Canada and in other countries, at their expense (further information can be obtained from the Examinations Department at firstname.lastname@example.org ).
- Retakes: You may re-write NCA exams twice (first attempt and two re-writes). If you are unsuccessful after three attempts, you may request a fourth attempt subject to the requirements in section 1.4.5 of the current NCA Policies and Guidelines.
- Exam Cancellations: Applicants must cancel their exam no later than the day before the exam is scheduled to take place. An administrative fee of $55 CDN (plus applicable taxes) will be deducted from every refund issued.